If living in Long Beach, California wasn't enough to sell prospective design students on going to California State University Long Beach, then the program the school created would do it. Their BA and BFA degree programs in Graphic Design, Illustration and Studio Art offer interesting tracks in illustration and/or animation; meaning they train artists first, then turn them into animators. This strategy is working well because California's top animation studios recruit from CSU Long Beach. They also offer interesting media courses in their Journalism and Mass Communications department.
Opening in 1949 with fewer than 200 students, CSULB has awarded degrees to more than 280,000 alumni.
- Named a Top 75 ‘Best Value’ by Princeton Review.
- California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) was named one of the nation’s “Best Value” public colleges by the Princeton Review, which teamed up with USA Today to present its list of the 150 (75 public and 75 private) “Best Value Colleges for 2013.”
- Among Top 5 Nationally in Freshman Applications.
- In an article by U.S.News & World Report, CSULB was listed as one of the top five colleges in the nation receiving the most freshman applications out of some 1,800 schools that reported data in the publication’s annual survey.
- Ranked No. 4 in the West by U.S.News & World Report.
-U.S.News & World Report ranked CSULB the fourth best public regional university in the western United States in its 2013 edition of “America’s Best Colleges Guide.”
- Named to Kiplinger’s 100 Best Values in Public Colleges List.
- CSULB was named to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine’s 2012-13 list of the top “100 Best Values in Public Colleges.” Nearly 600 public four-year colleges and universities were considered for the list, which recognizes institutions that combine outstanding education with economic value.
- Designated ‘Best in the West’ by Princeton Review.
-Top 10 in Bachelor’s Degrees to Minority Students.
CSULB is one of 227 institutions across the United States designated as Hispanic-Serving by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities.It is a diverse, student-centered, globally-engaged public university committed to providing highly-valued undergraduate and graduate educational opportunities through superior teaching, research, creative activity and service for the people of California and the world. CSULB envisions changing lives by expanding educational opportunities, championing creativity and preparing leaders for a changing world. Our academic purpose is to graduate students with highly-valued degrees. CSULB is committed to being an outstanding teaching-intensive, research-driven university that emphasizes student engagement, scholarly and creative achievement, civic participation and global perspectives.